Sydney Hobart Yacht Race 2020
Eve is offering places for one of the toughest and most respected ocean races in the world. This will be the 76th edition of Rolex Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race, with a fleet in excess of 150 yachts expected. The Sydney to Hobart yacht race involves very serious sailing in frequently heavy weather and so requires a safe yacht and competent crew. ‘Eve’ is an extraordinarily strong and safe yacht. Like all S&S Swan 65s, she was built to the highest standards for around-the-world racing and has already completed three circumnavigations. There is no stronger or safer boat in the Hobart fleet. Whether you’re looking to learn new racing skills or to tick off an item from your bucket list, competing in this 628-nautical-mile race will certainly challenge your endurance, boat handling and seamanship. An unforgettable experience for any sailor that has done the race. The buzz of helicopters and global media at the start, the 600 mile passage down the coast through all weather conditions, the rounding of Tasman island and the last leg to the historic city of Hobart.
Are you ready for the challenge?
Secure your place on the crew for a once in a lifetime adventure with a 50% deposit.
The training program:
The key to success in an event like this is preparation and teamwork, our 14-day program is designed to build a crew’s confidence as well as knowledge and experience to promote safe and successful experience. This 14-day course will be spread over 4 months so training sessions can be mostly done during the week-end.
The program will include basic skills & safety, offshore passage making, and race training:
- Passage making: The offshore experience session will incorporate a 500 nautical miles qualifying passage.
Learn to work in a watch system and race with broken sleep as you sail through the night. Everything will be about sail trim and making the boat go faster. Emphasis will also be placed on emergency routines, safety procedures and handling the yacht in tough offshore conditions to make sure the crew are familiar with the yacht and their role on board. Please note that you will need to complete a 2-day Sea Safety and Survival Training Course or demonstrate equivalent Category 1 experience before these passages (we recommend Marine SafetyWorks).
- Sail handling: The “drills and skills” module will be covering all the basics of sail handling, yacht racing and safety procedures. Training will be run in Sydney Harbour and surrounds just prior to the Bird Island Race on 5th December.
- Qualifying race: You’re almost there, you can feel the start of the race approaching. Now is the time to put the final touches to your pre-race training and this module will focus on practising your skills newly acquired. You will be required to participate in the Cabbage Tree Island Race scheduled on the 4th December 2020. You will experience a big ocean race start and medium haul ocean race with full racing gear and crew rotation. This race is a shorter equivalent of the Sydney Hobart race but is run to the same racing & crew rotation model. All crew must participate in that race. If you are an experienced sailor that would like to join us but cannot commit to the Bird Island island race then please contact us to discuss alternatives.
- Pre-race training: Finally, you will commit to a minimum of 3 consecutive full days of training prior to the Hobart Race in Sydney Harbour.
- Basic skills & safety Training: 12, 26 Sep and 10, 24 Oct and 07 Nov
- Overnight Passage Making:
- Port Stephens to Sydney: 28 and 29 November
- Sydney harbour intensive training: 3 and 4 December
- Cabbage Tree Island Race: 4 December
- Crew Party - CYCA Clubhouse: 19 December
- Pre-race training: 12, 13 and 21 to 24 December
- Race start: 26 December
- ETA Hobart: 29/30 December
- Trophies and Fireworks: 31 December
Our price and Inclusions:
- AUD$ 8,000.00 incl. GST (10% off for those that have raced with us before) - 20% is due when you book and will reserve your place. The remaining 80% is due by 10th November 2020.
- Experienced skipper and crew
- 12-day intensive training program including harbour training, Cabbage Tree Island race, pre-race training
- 2-day ocean passage
- All yacht costs and Rolex Sydney to Hobart Race entry fee and insurance
- Full provisions on board during racing and lunch whilst training
- All safety gear including personal epirbs
- Branded team polo, jacket hoodie and deck shorts
Your crew package excludes: accommodation ashore, flights and transport to and from departure and arrival ports, alcohol, toiletries, clothing and wet weather gear. Its always recommended that you book flights with date flexibility in case of unforeseen changes due to weather or schedules.
Our IRC Rating:
IRC is a handicapping system that is designed to give all yachts an equal chance of winning the race. As an older yacht, “Eve” has a great handicap of only 1.1 - similar to much smaller boats. Our 2020 IRC certificate.